The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heads to South Tyneside for the final week of North East tour
After six action-packed weeks on the road, the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is making its way to South Shields, for the final week of the summer cycling event programme.
The Roadshow is coming to South Marine Park between 30 August – 5 September. With a fun-filled and informative programme of free cycling activities for adults and children, led by the skilled local experts at Sunderland Young Bike People’s Project, the FREE event is not to be missed!
Those who have attended the roadshow in previous weeks have learnt how to ride bikes without stabilisers; got to grips with bike maintenance; have got back on their bikes with a newfound confidence and some attendees have even gone out and bought their own bikes after being inspired to travel actively. The Roadshow at South Shields promises more of the same- all with the aim of encouraging more people across the North East to make the most of sustainable active travel – for leisure, to get to/from school and commuting.
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is completely free for all and the timetable includes a wide variety of bookable and drop-in sessions which run 10am-3pm every day (sessions start slightly later at 11.15 on Monday), meaning there is something for people of all ages, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience or knowledge.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “It’s brilliant to see the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heading to South Tyneside; it’s final stop of the summer. It has proved extremely popular during the first six weeks of its tour of the North East. I’d strongly encourage people to come down and make the most of the brilliant opportunity to test drive a range of different bikes for free and build their cycling confidence with the help of our cycling experts.
“Cycling really is an enjoyable and sustainable way of getting around and we’re looking forward to sharing our passion for it with the people of South Tyneside.”
Paul Fleming, Head of Infrastructure and Transport at South Tyneside Council, said: “We’re delighted that the Go Smarter Go Active Cycling Roadshow is coming to South Tyneside during their tour of the North East.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for people to get tips and advice from cycling experts, whether that be handy cycling maintenance skills, refreshing your bike skills or helping to teach your children to ride safely.
“The Roadshow is a great way to help build people’s confidence and encourage more people to make active travel choices across South Tyneside and the rest of the region.”
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles – leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular ‘Learn to Ride’ cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years;
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs – relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if you prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so we advise you book early to avoid disappointment!
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- ‘Bike Maintenance 101’ interactive workshops;
- ‘Get into Gear’ demos – showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- ‘Try a Bike’ sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government’s Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
Don’t forget to tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use #GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling