The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heads to North Tyneside
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is set to arrive in Wallsend on 16 August, bringing a whole host of FREE cycling activities to the people of North Tyneside.
Taking place at Richardson Dees Park, the week-long event promises an action-packed schedule of free cycling activities for the whole family to enjoy- all with the aim of building people’s riding confidence so that they can make the most of sustainable, active travel in their day-to day lives.
All cycling activity takes place outdoors, ensuring the event is covid safe. Sessions and workshops are also delivered the friendly, skilled cycle training experts from Sunderland Young People’s Bike Project.
All activities are completely free, and with a mix of bookable and drop-in sessions every day, there really is something for everyone, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “After four fantastic weeks touring the North East, it’s great to see the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heading to Wallsend. The roadshow has helped a lot of people improve their cycling confidence and know-how so far, and the team are primed to provide the same first-class services and support to the people of North Tyneside.
“The roadshows are brilliant if you’re considering cycling as a fun and sustainable way of getting around for both commuting and leisure purposes. The experts are on hand to equip you with the skills and training you need so that you feel confident enough to leave the car at home and build more active travel into your day-to-day lives.”
Cllr Sandra Graham, North Tyneside Council’s cabinet member for Environment and Cycling Champion, said: “The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is a really great initiative and it’s exciting to see it coming to North Tyneside.
“There are so many benefits a healthy, active lifestyle can bring so I’d urge everyone to come along if you can and get involved in the free activities.”
The event programme includes bookable and drop-in sessions, which run every day from 10am-3pm for adults and children (please note sessions start slightly later at 11.15 on Mondays).
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles – leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular ‘Learn to Ride’ cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years (currently fully booked)
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs – relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if you prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so we advise you book early to avoid disappointment.
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- ‘Bike Maintenance 101’ interactive workshops;
- ‘Get into Gear’ demos – showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- ‘Try a Bike’ sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government’s Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
#GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling