The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heads to Gateshead
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is set to arrive in Gateshead’s Saltwell Park on 23 August, bringing a whole host of FREE cycling activities to the borough.
The Roadshow, which is at Gateshead until 29 August, aims to encourage more people across the North East to pick up cycling skills, confidence, and know-how to help them make the most of sustainable active travel – for leisure, commuting or to get to/from school.
The Roadshow will be led by the skilled cycle training experts at Sunderland Young People’s Bike Project, and with a wide variety of bookable and drop-in sessions every day this summer, there is something for people of all ages, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience or knowledge.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “We’re looking forward to be bringing the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow to Gateshead. We’re passionate about getting people in the region out and about enjoying active travel, and what better what better way to do that than with a free event on all things cycling.
Cycling is a fantastic, sustainable and cost-efficient way of getting around, whether that be for commuting or for fun and the experts at the Roadshow are on hand to help you build more if it into your day to day lives this summer.”
Councillor John McElroy, cabinet member for environment and transport at Gateshead Council, said: “We’re really glad to be hosting the Go Smarter Go Active roadshow. It’s brilliant to see more and more people getting out on their bikes, and the roadshow is a great way to build people’s confidence, try out different types of bike, and learn new skills from the experts.”
The event programme includes bookable and drop-in sessions, which run every day from 10am-3pm for adults and children (please note sessions start slightly later at 11.15 on Mondays).
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles – leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular ‘Learn to Ride’ cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years;
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs – relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if you prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so we advise you book early to avoid disappointment!
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- ‘Bike Maintenance 101’ interactive workshops;
- ‘Get into Gear’ demos – showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- ‘Try a Bike’ sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government’s Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
Don’t forget to tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use #GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling