The Go Smarter Go Active Roadshow heads to Exhibition Park in Newcastle!
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is pedalling its way to Exhibition Park in Newcastle Upon Tyne next week (26 July – 1 August) with a jam-packed programme of free cycling activities for adults and children, the perfect way to kickstart the summer!
The Roadshow aims to encourage more people across the North East to pick up cycling skills, confidence and know-how to help them make the most of sustainable active travel – for leisure, commuting or to get to/from school.
The Roadshow at Exhibition Park will take place outdoors to ensure it is Covid safe, and will be led by the friendly, skilled cycle training experts at Sunderland Young People’s Bike Project.
All Go Smarter, Go Active events this summer are completely free for all and the timetable includes a wide variety of bookable and drop-in sessions every day this summer, meaning there is something for all the family, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “We are delighted to be bringing the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow to Newcastle this summer – helping more people across the region enjoy active travel. We are passionate about encouraging more and more people out of their cars, making the switch to greener, active travel like cycling or walking.
“I hope the events help local people improve their cycling ability, confidence and knowledge. All equipment is provided, and events are completely free, so it doesn’t matter whether you’re completely new to cycling or a more experienced rider, there’s something for everyone.”
Cllr Ged Bell, cabinet member for transport and neighbourhoods at Newcastle City Council, said: “The events taking place in Exhibition Park next week as part of the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow offer a great opportunity for adults and children to improve their cycling skills and confidence.
“Whether people are looking to learn to ride, build their confidence to cycle to work or find out how to carry out basic bike maintenance, there are plenty of sessions with experts on hand to help.
“The events are being held outdoors and are Covid-safe but, as case rates remain high in our area, we would ask everyone to take extra care, continue to wear a face covering if you are in a busy space and please be considerate of others.”
The event programme includes some bookable activities and drop in sessions every day from 10am-3pm for adults and children.
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles – leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular ‘Learn to Ride’ cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years;
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs – relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if they prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so book early to avoid disappointment!
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- ‘Bike Maintenance 101’ interactive workshops;
- ‘Get into Gear’ demos – showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- ‘Try a Bike’ sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government’s Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
#GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling