The Go Smarter Go Active Roadshow heads to Durham next week!
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is racing its way to County Durham between 2 – 8 August. With a chockfull programme of free cycling activities for adults and children, you’ll be spoiled for choice for how to kickstart your summer of cycling fun!
The Roadshow aims to encourage more people across the North East to pick up cycling skills, confidence and know-how to help them make the most of sustainable active travel – for leisure, commuting or to get to/from school.
The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow will firstly be visiting Riverside Park, Chester-le-Street between 2-4 August and then moving onto Hardwick Park between 5-8 August. So why not bring the whole family down and enjoy a day of cycling and learning all about life on two wheels!
The Roadshow events will take place outdoors to ensure they are Covid safe, so remember to bring your sun cream! The events will be led by the friendly, skilled cycle training experts at Sunderland Young People’s Bike Project, who we are proud to be partnering with.
All Go Smarter, Go Active events this summer are completely free for all and the timetable includes a wide variety of bookable and drop-in sessions every day this summer, meaning there is something for people of all ages, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “We’re delighted to be bringing the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow to County Durham. We want to do all we can to support walking and cycling in the North East, encouraging more and more people out of their cars, making the switch to greener, active travel like cycling or walking and Durham has some of the best scenery that the North East has to offer.
“As restrictions ease, we’re delighted to be providing these events with the aim of helping local people to improve their cycling ability, confidence and knowledge. All equipment is provided, and events are completely free, so it doesn’t matter whether you’re completely new to cycling or a more experienced rider, there’s something for everyone on offer!”
The programme includes some bookable activities and drop in sessions every day from 10am-3pm for adults and children.
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles – leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular ‘Learn to Ride’ cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years;
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs – relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if they prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so book early to avoid disappointment!
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- ‘Bike Maintenance 101’ interactive workshops;
- ‘Get into Gear’ demos – showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- ‘Try a Bike’ sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government’s Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
Don’t forget to tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use #GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling